Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rotisserie Chicken


People this recipe was perfect. You know the chicken you buy hot in those little take out packages. This was just like it. mmm. I don't know if it is because I am from the desert and everything seems dry to me, but I actually added about 2-3 cups of water to the bottom of my dish to help keep things moist. I let it refrigerate while I was at church, popped it in the oven when I got home and at 5:00 dinner was ready and delightful. I thought I should add that I used a stoneware dish to bake it in.

Ingredients:
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 onion, quartered
1 (4 pound) whole chicken
Directions:
1. In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
3. Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving

3 comments:

Becky said...

Mmm. Looks and sounds YUMMY!! I am going to have to try that one!

Tink said...

That looks so good! I'm glad you took a picture. I'll bet this a budget friendly way to get that rotisserie chicken. It makes awesome chicken soup:)

Tink said...

So, did you eat your little red hen?