Sunday, January 27, 2008

Hurray!

I've just made a wonderful discovery from Cook's Illustrated. Maybe you've already tried this but, just in case you didn't know, English muffins can be turned into surprisingly good little pizzas! I think they are better than the French bread or bagel versions (and easier since you can do these in the microwave). Here are a few tips to get you started. I like to keep a bottle of the squeeze pizza sauce in the fridge for convenience. And, don't be surprised when it takes longer to melt the cheese compared to nachos, which would catch fire if you left them in as long as these little pizzas. I had them in close to a minute and my microwave typically works faster than most recipe recommendations.

The toppings are of course only limited to your imagination. My old favorite is pesto and artichoke hearts (unmarinated). The kids -hurray even Kali likes it - is just plain cheese. Grandma D enjoys alfredo and chicken while Gpa enjoys bbq, chicken and red onions. I hope you try these soon and tell me how you've liked them! These are sure to be our new lunch time staple.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'll have to see if they sell them here. Seems like I remember trying those before after I saw it on Martha Stewart back when I was first married. One interesting thing she suggested on the English muffins were apples and cheese. I used feta and they were great!

Lees Everything Homemade said...

What a great idea...my kids love making their own pizza's. I'm sure they'll enjoy these, if I can get them past the english muffin idea (they're not big fans, but covered with pizza toppings and cheese instead of jam might make a difference!)

Jami said...

Now, I'm all about easy, but I actually do prefer to do English Muffin pizzas in the oven. If you toast them for a couple of minutes in the oven first, then take them out to add the sauce, cheese, and toppings, the muffin won't get soggy from the sauce.

It's funny, though, because I've been making these since I was a kid. I thought everyone did that.

Have you tried making Mexican pizzas on pita bread, though? Just spread on some refried beans, salsa, cheese, tomatoes, olives, or green onions (whatever else you like on it), and throw it in the oven. Super fast and easy!