Thursday, November 15, 2007

Halibut Heaven

So, I tried my hand at Halibut last night. I have only cooked fish a couple of times and was quite nervous about it because of the cost. (It cost me $10 a pound! I have never spent that much per pound for meat!) Well, the results were better than I expected and both Richard and my Mother-in-Law agreed that it was the best Halibut they had ever had. Even my kids, who had originally decided they weren't going to test it out, loved it and had a second helping. So, I thought I would share my success with my family because who else really cares, right? Assuming that you all DO!



Here's what I did if you are interested:

1 lb. Halibut fillets, cut into serving size "steaks"
1 beaten egg
about: 1/4 C. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. lemon pepper, 1/4 tsp. pepper, dill
(I didn't measure any of this, but I go by how it smells. If it smells seasoned, I figure it's good).

Salt and pepper both sides of the fish steaks, dip them in egg, then dredge in flour mixture. Tap off excess flour and place on plate. When you finish with all the steaks, go back and coat each one in flour again. Sprinkle steaks with dill.

Heat a little olive oil in a 375 degree skillet, then quickly add 2 Tbsp. of butter. When the butter is melted, add the fish. Cook on each side 4-5 minutes. Fish is done when it easily flakes off when stabbed with a fork. For garnish, you can sprinkle again with some dill. I served it with lemon wedges (and a tartar sauce that Allison made).


It was so yummy and really very quick and easy. I think I will do fish more often. Halibut was easier to work with then chicken by far and it didn't stink at all!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Looks yummy! I wish my family (Jon) ate fish.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

I'll make you some when you come if you want to try it...