Sunday, April 10, 2011

Feta Pear Salad


This was a wonderful salad. I made 2 parts to my Sunday dinner today and both were fabulous, this was the 2nd. The combination of the nuts, cheese and vinegar dressing was wonderful. I changed the cheese from Roquefort to feta because I searched and searched for the Roquefort with no luck. It was a good choice. I actually omitted the avocado. Complete accident. I don't think I regret it though I don't think I would have liked it and I love avocado. Just a tip to any of the novice cooks out there. I discovered that a pan full of sugar melts no water or anything needed. Don't burn the pecans and sugar and when you leave it on the wax paper for a minute it gets easier to pull off.

Bon a petite.

Ingredients:
1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size
pieces
3 pears - peeled, cored and chopped
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup pecans
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
1. In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans. Continue

stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.
2. For the dressing, blend oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and green onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.

1 comment:

Tink said...

I am so going to try this!! I just got a box of pears yesterday from Yakima!!