Saturday, July 3, 2010

Famous Idaho Spudnuts


(I can't find the photos I took when I made these. Until I find them, I borrowed these off the internet)

This recipe is one I received from Aunt Suzanne. It's the recipe Grandma Duncan has had for years and it's a really good one. I tried 3 or 4 different donut recipes and then had taste tests with family and friends and this was the preferred donut. Something about those potatoes, I think...

3 yeast cakes (or 3 1/2 Tbsp - yes, you read that right. 3 1/2 Tablespoons)

1/2 C. warm water

1 1/2 Tbsp. salt

1 C. mashed potatoes (real, from scratch!-according to taste test results, it made the difference).
2 C. scalded milk

2 eggs

1/2 C. sugar

4 Tbsp shortening

6 C. flour (plus 1 C. - which may not be needed, but very often times is. I know, it's crazy, but after you make them a few times, you'll know what I mean).



Mix all ingredients together. Knead for 5 minutes or so (dough will be sticky). Let rise 1 hour. Roll out the dough about 1/2 inch thick. Cut your donuts and let rise again. On the second rise, you might want to place your donuts on a parchment paper or grease and flour the surface well. The risen donut will be fragile and you want these babies as fluffy as possible. I chose to let my rise on a cookie sheet so I could easily transfer them to the hot oil without too much handling.

Heat a deep fryer (375 degrees or so) with enough oil to allow the donuts to be completely covered when they fry OR at least halfway up the side of an electric skillet so half the dough is covered for each side. I used a deep fryer, but if anyone has tried an electric skillet, let me know how it turns out. My experience is that the skillet doesn't hold a consistent enough heat to keep the donuts from being extra greasy.

Fry a few donuts at a time and let them cool on a cooling rack covered in paper towels to drain off grease. Then dip your donuts in your favorite glazes. There is a moment after frying that these donuts are too hot to dip, but you still want to get that glaze on before they cool down. If your glaze slides off, it's too hot. I know you are anxiously awaiting the best part, but you're going to have to wait about 60 more seconds. And don't forget the donut holes - they're almost better than the donut itself!

Makes 3 dozen

Different Glazes and Toppings we tried:

plain -(powdered sugar with a little water and vanilla)
chocolate -(icing thinned out for dipping)
toasted coconut -(I looked everywhere and finally found that I could buy this from my grocer's bakery. Macey's sold it to me by the pound)
sugar -(a big time favorite)
sprinkles - of course

We did this at Halloween time and our family loved it! It is a fun tradition that I think we'll continue to do. My aunt makes so many, she has neighbors stopping by all night just to get a donut.

No comments: