Sunday, January 13, 2008

Meatloaf Worth Keeping


Richard loves meatloaf, but every time I make a good version, I forget exactly what I did. This time I tried a few new things and the result was so much better than the others, I thought it should get written down so I can repeat the goodness. (The spices and such aren't exact because I didn't measure anything except the meat, eggs and bread crumbs. It's all approximate. Just smell it to make sure it's seasoned enough

Carillisa's Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground beef
2 eggs
4 slices of bread (crumbed)
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3-4 drops hot sauce
1 Tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce
2 tsp. prepared mustard
3-4 Tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1 Tbsp. parsley
1 1/2 Tbsp. dehydrated onion
2 tsp. italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder


Chop bread in blender until it turns into crumbs. Add to meat, stir. Add eggs, stir. Add remaining ingredients and using a big wooden spoon, stir until completely combined. Divide meat mixture in half and shape into two loaves. Place both loaves on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

This is my favorite way to bake meatloaf because the grease from the meat drains off and the meatloaf doesn't end up swimming in it. I also liked the dehydrated onions instead of fresh and the bread crumbs are better than crackers. It's the first time I used the bread crumbs and the meatloaf held together wonderfully.
(I had a photo of the meatloaf, but I don't think meatloaf was ever meant to be photographed. It looked ...interesting. Still tasted good though!)

1 comment:

Becky said...

thanks for not adding a photo ;) Sounds yummy though. I'm not a meatloaf lover and Jon totally is. I knew I could count on you to have what I needed. Now I'm gonna go make my man happy!