Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Something New...

Alas, I have had to get creative this summer in order to use up the garden goodies that are taking over my kitchen counters. Last night's concoction was worth writing down. It features Lemon Boy tomatoes from our garden (my new favorite kind) Unfortunately, my culinary creativity ends on the name...I can't think of anything brilliant to call this dish. Somebody help me, please...!



LEMON BOY CHICKEN

12 sm. chicken breast fillets (these really are little pieces - about 1/4 of a jumbo sized breast)
2 1/2 Tbsp. fresh Basil
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh Parsley
3 cloves garlic
1/4 C. Walla Walla onion (or any other sweet onion)
6 med. to large yellow tomatoes (about 4 cups worth)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 C. water
salt and pepper
olive oil for frying

Finely dice the herbs, garlic, and onion. In a very hot skillet, drizzle olive oil and then quickly add the diced ingredients. Stir around a bit and add chicken. Brown on both sides (chicken will not be fully cooked). Add chicken to a crockpot and deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of water. Add drippings to crockpot.

Skin and core tomatoes. Squeeze a lot of the seeds out. Blend them with a can of cream of chicken, then add to the crockpot. Cook for 4-6 hours. Serve over angel hair pasta.

This sauce was definately mild, with a pretty golden yellow color. Lemon Boy's offer a tomato taste without the acidity other varieties have. I typically don't like marinara sauce, but I loved this one. The next time I try it, I'm going to add a little white wine and maybe more garlic, but if you like mellow, this version is perfect.

No comments: