Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Chicken Curry

We tried the Chicken Curry recipe of Jenny's tonight and it was a big hit. BIG hit! I added a little more curry than the recipe called for as well as a little more evaporated milk, but that was it. Fabulous dish!

Also, I still want recipes if anyone has one, but I did find something off the internet as far as the Indian Bread goes. It wasn't exactly like the restaurants, but it was still good enough to post the recipe and was a great addition to this dish.




Naan
(Type of Indian Bread)

2 C. flour
2 tsp. sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. onion seed
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. yogurt
1 tsp. salt
luke warm water
butter (ghee) melted





1. Mix all ingredients together except water and butter.
2. Add water, a little at a time, until ingredients form together. I added about 3/4 cup. It will resemble a wet biscuit mixture.
3. Sprinkle flour on working surface and knead dough, adding flour to keep from getting too sticky. (I think I ended up adding an extra 6-7 Tbsp.)
4. After dough comes together and has been kneaded, let rest for 2 hours. (I didn't have that long, so it rested about 45 minutes. Maybe it would have turned out chewier if I had let it rise for longer.)
5. Now, on floured surface roll small balls of dough into flat, thin circles.
6. Brush melted butter on one side, lay butter side down on a hot skillet. (Be careful, it burns easily.)
7. Brush melted butter on other side and flip the bread.
8. After bread is cooked, remove from pan and cut into fourths. Serve immediately or to keep heated place in a tortilla warmer.


NOTE: I didn't have sesame seeds, onion seeds or yogurt. So, I omitted the sesame seeds, used onion powder and for the yogurt I mixed together 1 Tbsp. buttermilk and 1 Tbsp. sour cream. It worked great and I think I even preferred not having sesame seeds in my bread.
If you ever give this a try or can improve upon this recipe, let us know!




1 comment:

Tink said...

I'm so glad to get this recipe for Naan! I'm also happy that you liked the chicken curry. It freezes flawlessly if your interested. If I have leftovers for Todd's lunches I freeze it in portion sizes with the rice but, if I'm freezing it for a meal I don't include the rice. The sauce doesn't look like it's going to come together until it is completely heated through.