Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

I made some Chicken Salad Sandwiches last Saturday for a little party I had with some friends. These sandwiches are one of my favorites, unfortunately, I never write down what I do and can't recreate it later. Thanks to Amanda's request, I think I might actually remember next time.



CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICHES

3-4 chicken breasts
3 stalks celery, diced
1 C. grapes, halved or quartered depending on size
3 green onions, sliced
2 handfuls salted cashews, chopped
5-7 Tbsp. chicken broth
1/2 C. Best Foods mayonnaise
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2-1 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper

Boil the chicken until no longer pink (try not to over boil or meat will get tough). Save aside some chicken broth. Shred meat into good sized chunks (I cheat and use fingers for this job...don't worry, they're very clean!) Mix chicken with all other ingredients. Serve on croissants. (I found some really cute pinwheel croissants at Walmart - they were the perfect size). This batch will make about 32-36 little sandwiches.

Note: I did not measure anything, so go with your preferences here. The measurements given are my best guess. The goal is to try to get a taste of everything in each bite. Also, Best Foods is my favorite brand of mayo. In a dish like this, where mayonnaise is a big part of the flavor, I spend a little more and get the good stuff.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks for posting this. I love your site. How come I'm just barely learning about it?

I love your reasoning on the side. I only wish it were true for my case. Don't get me wrong, I love food, I've just found that the more sugar I eat, the more depressed I get. I'm currently trying to go without sugar. I'll of course eat natural sugars and some sugars within some items, but I'm trying to limit myself. The reason I'm telling you this, is so that if you come across any good munchies or meals that don't have sugar, would you mind posting them? I'd appreciate it.

Jenni said...

LOVED that sandwich! And I'm pleased to hear it is healthier than I thought. Honestly. Matt's mom has a chicken salad recipe that I ADORE, but it is HORRIBLE on the scale...tons of sour cream and mayo...I only allow myself to eat it about once a year.

But yours was equally delicious and I can justify eating it MUCH more often!