Friday, May 16, 2008

Sheesh!

It's about time I posted something on this fabulous blog! I tried a new thing last month and just haven't gotten around to posting. There's even step by step pictures...

When we went to New York, we ate lunch at a place called Ollies. It was a great, cheap Chinese place and I fell in love with their appetizer. You may have heard of them. They're called Scallion Pancakes. I knew when I tasted them I'd have to recreate the recipe when I got home. They might look labor intensive, but they are really very, very easy. You make the same dough that is used for egg rolls and wontons.

SCALLION PANCAKES (aka Green Onion Pancakes)
Makes 2



Step One: Mix 2 C. flour and 1 C. boiling water with wooden spoon until mixture forms a ball.



Step 2: Knead for several minutes, then wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes. (You don't need to refrigerate it like you would pie dough).



Step 3: Cut dough in half. Roll out one half into a large rectangle. Try to get this as thin as possible. Brush with about 3-4 Tbsp. of diluted sesame oil (sesame oil with a little olive oil). Sprinkle with salt and chopped green onions. The amount of green onions depends on your taste, but they are called "green onion" pancakes so don't be too skimpy. Repeat this process with the second half.



Step 4: Roll rectangle into long snake, much like you would for a cinnamon roll.



Step 5: With seam towards the inside, roll the snake into a snail. Then seal the end with a bit of water.



Step 6: Roll out as thin as possible (1/4" or so). Be sure to stop when the onions and oil start poking or spilling out.



Step 7: Pan fry in a non-stick pan with a little oil. Do not flip back and forth. Leave in pan until golden brown, then flip and fry the last side. About 3-4 minutes on each side. I wish I had a photo of the finished product, but I don't. You'll just have to make them to see how beautiful they turn out. You could probably use all sorts of alterations on this recipe. If you get adventurous, let us know it turns out.

GINGER DIPPING SAUCE: (The secret is in the sauce, truly)

1/4 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. rice vinegar
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. sugar

This can be tweaked and changed according to your likes. If you like the sauce, you'll like the pancakes and that holds true the other way around. I am still trying to find a version I think best resembles Ollies, but this one was good too.

If anyone tries these, I really want to know what you think. I love them!

No comments: