Friday, February 22, 2008

Cheesy Broccoli Potatoes with a TWIST

So every time I make a cheese sauce it is different from the last. I add some butter some flour and milk little by little until I get the right consistency and then finish off with cheese salt and pepper and whatever else fits with the meal. Well, since this was going over potatoes I tried something new this time when after making the white sauce, which was too runny, I added a packet of COUNTRY GRAVY! Oh my - it was a HIT! I am doing this EVERY time from now on. The only thing I would change would be making the baked potato a russet - and they don't sell them here (wipe a tear).

FYI - a word from the now wiser, you can't add flour dry to a hot liquid. It lumps. If I made gravy more often I would remember that - but I don't. SO when thickening any gravy, mix the flour in a cold liquid (water) first then slowly drizzle it into the hot gravy.