Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Macaroons - The Easy Way


My friend made these for us last year for Christmas and they are very good. (She uses the bread crumb substitution to make them cheaper).

1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg white, beaten stiff
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 14 oz. bag of coconut
(or you can substitute 1/2 the coconut for 4 slices of bread crumbs)

Combine milk, vanilla, extract, coconut, (bread crumbs if using them). Beat egg white until stiff peaks form then fold into coconut mixture. Using a cookie scoop or large spoon, drop batter onto wax paper lined cookie sheet. Bake until barely golden at 325. Let cool completely. (I am not sure the time on this, but I would guess around 20-30 minutes?)

Another version (I haven't tried this one):

7 1/2 oz. cream of coconut
1 oz. corn syrup
4 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 lb. sweetened coconut
1/2 lb. unsweetened coconut
1 Tbsp. key lime zest
1 1/2 Tbsp. key lime juice

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes

2 comments:

Lees Everything Homemade said...

I made these today and not only were they very good, but they are very, VERY easy! I used bread crumbs from my homemade wheat/white bread and couldn't believe how yummy they turned out.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

DO NOT use wax paper. Bad, bad idea. I accidently used parchment on the first batch and so went with wax paper on the second. The parchment cookies came right up, even before they cooled, but the wax paper cookies had to have their bottoms cut off. Ouch!