Friday, January 4, 2008

10-Grain Coconut Muffins


I am not a big fan of hot cereals, with only a few exceptions. I went to make 10 grain cereal this morning for breakfast and decided to make muffins instead. They turned out great (or I wouldn't be posting them) and at the last minute I opted to add some coconut for Richard's flu symptoms.

Interesting side note: Richard has had the flu and his digestion system hasn't been functioning properly - I'm sure you don't need more details on that. He found an interesting article yesterday about the effects of coconut and it's role in helping cure this persistent problem. Check it out, it's worth the two minutes it will take to read. Copy and paste in address bar:

http://www.healthcentral.com/peoplespharmacy/408/60403.html


10-Grain Coconut Muffins

1 egg
1/2 C. sugar
1/3 C. butter
1 C. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. coconut extract (opt. but very good)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 C. flaked coconut
1 C. 10 grain cereal
1 1/4 C. sour milk or buttermilk (I just added a tsp. lemon juice to reg. milk)

Mix milk and cereal together first and let stand for ten minutes or so. Cream together egg, sugar and butter. Add dry ingredients, milk with cereal and extracts. Stir just to combine. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Makes 12 very yummy muffins and it beats the hot cereal version (if you ask me)!

2 comments:

DeAnna said...

Boy you have added a lot of stuff since I last checked, those muffins look really yummy! I can't wait until I am able to make breakfast in the morning. This morning I had granola in a cup (I guess I made the granola...so I kinda made breakfast!)

DeAnna said...

P.S. I didn't know that about coconut, that is very interesting. It just proves once again that you shouldn't diet, you never know what secret remedy you are getting from random foods.