Monday, December 10, 2007

Tiffany's Sour Cream Apple Pie


I got this recipe from Tiffany Cramer (one of my fabulous cousins) after seeing a picture of it on her blog. Looks yummy! Thanks Tiff!

Sour Cream Apple Pie

9" pie crust unbaked
2 c. Rome apples (cored, peeled, chopped)
1/3 c. + 2 T white flour
1 c. sugar, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1 c. sour cream
1 egg beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 T cinnamon
2 T. butter

place unbaked crust in pie pan, add apples
combine 2 T flour, 2/3 c. sugar and salt in separate bowl and add sour cream, egg, vanilla then add to apples
bake at 425 for 15 minutes
then 350 for 30 min
combine cinnamon, butter, flour, and sugar - sprinkle on top
bake at 400 for 10 minutes

2 comments:

Becky said...

I thought that looked yummy too - but I can't comment on her blog for some reason.
What are Rome Apples?

Lees Everything Homemade said...

I couldn't comment either, so I emailed her. She said she would look into the comment thing and was very willing to share her recipe.

Rome apples are just another type of apple. I don't see much of them, but they're around. I would think you could substitute any sweet/tart apple that you like. I have used Gala, Fuji and Braeburn, but if I use Golden Delicious they have to be very firm. They seem to go mushy if not.

Here's a link for different kinds of apples and their use that I found helpful.

http://appleorchardtours.com/fruit.htm