Thursday, October 4, 2007

Hurray!

I have two reasons to be happy. First I got the Naan recipe to copy and paste. And, second, I tried Betsy's recipe for Mac and Cheese. Except for Duncan, all the kids tried it because I told them it was Aunt Betsy's recipe. Kali tried it and said, "Did she make this up because, the whole world needs to know about this!" How's that for a review? So it's not your typical Mac and Cheese with the base being a basic cheese sauce. It has eggs instead. I deviated from the recipe by adding a touch of mustard because it's a typical ingredient for making cheese taste more cheesy. Also I added crushed saltine crackers on the top with the extra cheese ontop. It helps mop up the little bit of grease that accumulates on the top and adds a yummy crunch. I added the two optional ingredients, bacon and onion and found them to be a great addition. And one thing I wasn't expecting was this great crust that forms on the bottom of the pan. I looked forward the bottom as much as the top! I don't know if it's supposed to be there but, I hope it is next time. Thanks Betsy.

3 comments:

DeAnna said...

Ha ha that is a good review :) How come you don't have a blog? I would love it if you did.

Betsy Lee said...

Ha! That's awesome! I'm so glad your kids liked it! That was my grandma's recipe, and I loved it growing up! The crust is more of a reaction to the heat, so the longer you cook it the crispier the bottom will be. So, if you want that crust again, just time the cooking just right. I always love lots of cheese on top, by the way, and I think the "optional" ingredients are necessary, as well as a bunch of pepper. I also like to get thick chunks of ham to put it in. Anyways, glad you all liked it!! :)

Tink said...

One thing I forgot to mention in my review was that I heated the milk before I added it to the dish. This sped up the cooking time signigicantly, which is good because it's over an hour.