Monday, September 17, 2007

Canning Peaches

Okay, after Saturday's fiasco, I have decided that I wished we had done a section in the book on Canning. So, with your patience, I will tell you what I learned and you can jot it down in the back of the book if you want.

First of all, if you use anything other than "free-stone" peaches, you will be pulling your hair out or throwing peaches across the room within fifteen minutes of beginning your adventure! I almost gave up completely before I figured out I had two different kinds of peaches in my bags. "Free-stone" means the pit easily comes 'free' when you cut the peach open. "Cling-stone" is more headache than they're worth, even when they're ripe! I ended up throwing them out. They make good jam if you're willing to put up with the mess they make.

Second, Grandma Duncan says to add a scant 1/2 C. of sugar directly to each jar and when the peaches are ready to go into their water bath, add hot water. I think this makes for a very sweet jar of peaches and my sugar didn't dissolve all the way. Not that it's a problem, but next time, I will dissolve the sugar in water and then add it to the jars of peaches. I'll probably use less sugar as well.

And lastly, plan on having tired feet and a sticky kitchen. Of course, if you aren't using those *#!& "cling-stone" peaches than you're less likely to chuck peaches around, thus saving yourself the stickiness.

If anyone is interested, I will post Grandma Duncan's exact directions, start to finish on how to can peaches.

3 comments:

DeAnna said...

I am very interested, some day...:) I guess the timing isn't ideal at this point

Becky said...

I am laughing but might have to use creative language too if I were actually in the process - although if you do things like this with sisters or friends it helps keep your stress levels laughable

Tink said...

I did peaches at a friends house a few years ago and she taught me to add the sugar to all the sterilized jars and then pour enough water on the top to disolve the sugar when it's stirred. You can then add your peaches and top them all off with more water. I've been happy with 3/4 cup of sugar for each jar. I suppose I could try less.