Thursday, August 23, 2007

Quiche Loraine

Yikes! This was awful. It smelled so yummy but, I really made a mess of it. The first thing I did wrong was use a pan that was smaller since I don't have what the recipe called for. I should have known this would cause problems because I've had similar issues with another egg based dish. So, if you don't have the right size of pan it would be much better to error on the side of too big a pan, or take out some of the filling I guess. The trouble with too small is it takes too long, which even after an extra half an hour the "crust" on the bottom was just not there and the eggs had overcooked to the point that the egg proteins over-coagulated so they separated from the liquids. Another issue I had was that it was way too greasy. Part of the problem could be attributed to the over cooking which seperated the oil from the cheese. Also I used my homemade bisquick that is wetter than the storebought because of the Crisco in it. I think next time, yes I think this recipe deserves another try, I will omit the butter and use a different pan!

3 comments:

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Thanks for the tips...I haven't tried it yet.

Becky said...

I have made this several times. We love it. It can be pretty greasy. I'm not sure who's recipe is in the book. Mom made some while I was home after Rissie and we both agreed that Aleece's (?) version was too much cheese and butter. So Mom cut it down by half and still it had plenty of flavor and moisture. It could probably handle even a little more shaving. You definately need to try this one again, Jen. It's a good one.

Tink said...

Thanks for the tips. Without them I may have been disappointed a second time and, let's face there isn't usually a third try.