Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Grandma's Bread Cassarol

Ok..this was a funny learning experience. It says boil chicken....I called mom and that meant a whole chicken....I don't know about all of you but I don't have whole chickens usually, but I added three large chicken breasts and that seemed to be good, it could have done with a little more, but three still seemed doable. The next funny thing...evaporated milk...no explanation on how much there either. Mom said the more you add the creamier the cassarol...so I added the whole thing. Overall the flavor was great and it turned out well, but I didn't cook it the night I made it (I didn't pay attention to how long it had to bake) So we refridgerated it and cooked it the next day, which as you may all have guessed made the bread pretty soggy, so...don't do that! Also I may have needed to add less liquid to the bread overall :) Andrew doesn't mind soggy bread, but I do, so it didn't suit me. AND...Since everyone reading probably is feading more than two people, the fact that it feeds 10 might be okay, but for the two of us...we didn't hardly dent it. AND I do remember Grandma saying when she cooked it for us once that it doesn't refridgerate well, so you kinda have to eat it the same day.

3 comments:

Becky said...

That is so funny! Thanks for the tips. And for the record, I don't cook whole chickens either - hah! They might do something like that around here. Gross.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

So, I also tried out this recipe last Sunday and I was laughing at the instructions because they were so vague! We made it all up, a huge dish and it served nicely as cat food for the rest of the week. I quite loved the idea that I didn't need to buy food for Kolibar until the bread cassarole ran out. Lexi enjoyed it too, but the family just didn't love it. I think if I do it again, I won't use the 4 cups of gravy all on the cassarole. I like it a little dryer, but Richard loves it moist. I would use maybe 2 cups of gravy, maybe 2 1/2 and use the remainder as a side for those who want it.

I just don't get it, I used to love this cassarole, but now, it just reminds me of stuffing, but extra soggy. And as I am reflecting, I do remember that my favorite part was picking the crunchy bread from off the top of Grandma's cassarole and skipping the rest. I think she used both light and dark meat too.

Tink said...

I'm so glad that I get these tips! I don't know if you guys remember this or not but, Grandma overcooks everything. Mom said it's kind of a family joke at her house just like our Mom overcooking everything in the microwave was at ours.