Monday, September 13, 2010

Simply Shrimpy!





















Since the kids have gone back to school and I find myself cooking lunch for one again, this new salad creation has become one of my favorites. It's fast and easy, really good for you and yummy!

I take cooked, frozen shrimp (and of course, fresh would be so much better, but we're cooking for one here and we all know fresh shrimp is only worth it if there are at least two for dinnner) and run them under hot water until they are thawed. Takes about one minute or so. Be sure to remove the tails if they didn't come already done.



Then dice garlic (1/2 or whole clove, whatever your taste for garlic is - I use a whole clove), measure a teaspoon of sugar or a natural sugar substitute, like Xylitol, and cut up four, little lime wedges (yes, I know the photo shows six, but unless you really love lime, I wouldn't).



Toss up your desired greens and salad veggies. I used what I had left over from the night before. Then in a small, hot skillet, add a tiny drizzle of olive oil, immediately add your garlic, sugar and lime juice. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds, add your thawed shrimp and toss in pan until everything comes together. Salt and pepper. The shrimp will create a lot of juices; cook over medium high heat until shrimp is warmed through. Do not be tempted to over cook these little babies (remember, it's already been done for you). All you want is for the garlic to be cooked and the shrimp to be warm. This takes about 1-2 minutes depending on your heat. Remove from the stove top, let your shrimp quit steaming and then pour everything from your pan over the salad greens you have set aside.


Toss shrimp and greens together, maybe squirt a little more lime juice, if you feel you need more "dressing" and if you're like me, you'll shake a little more sweet to cut the tang of the lime.

I love this salad and who knew you could eat your greens without creamy ranch smothered all over the top (not that I still don't love that too!)

No comments: